Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... rss

Author Topic: reporting spam bots  (Read 4808 times)

richardaz

• View Profile
reporting spam bots
« on: October 30, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »
Lately I've decided to write to the owners of the IP used by the spambot and advise them of that activity. So far, I've had a fairly favorable response. When doing so, I post a link to show how many times that IP was used.

Instead of just blocking the bots, fight back. If more IP owners are made aware of what's going on and how, they may be able to stop these bots at the source. At least it will certainly curb them.

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: reporting spam bots
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »
Lately I've decided to write to the owners of the IP used by the spambot and advise them of that activity. So far, I've had a fairly favorable response. When doing so, I post a link to show how many times that IP was used.
Yes, I've no doubt that the members of the RBN will fall all over themselves in their haste to apologize. :)

Instead of just blocking the bots, fight back.
Fight back by writing them nasty notes? Do you really think that they know or care what their bots do, or who they hit? If they did, do you think services like this would even exist? Seriously, think about it.
Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

richardaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:05:23 PM »
In many cases, the owners of the IP block as registered by RIPE, have no clues that a customer is doing this. The customer may not even be aware that this is happening. Then there are those who do this on purpose knowingly.

So we send them a nice short, simple letter and hope the IP owner takes appropriate action. If enough people report this, the IP owners will take notice as they don't want their equipment to be abused either.

dumpsterdave

• View Profile
    • The Slaughter House
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
Complaining may make you feel better, but in reality it does nothing to stop, or even curb the problem.  Bots or Botnets typically reside on networks where the owners don't care about the activity that goes on.  As long as they get their money, they turn their cheek.

If numerous world govenments can't stop, or even put a dent in the problem, how is it that a single complaint is going to fix it.