Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... rss

Author Topic: Bot using my real email address for forum/mailing list signups. What do I do?  (Read 7335 times)

topher1078

• View Profile
For a few months now, my Gmail address (christopher.anderson) has been used by a bot originating from a Chinese IP (http://www.botscout.com/ipcheck.htm?ip=202.99.29.27&PHPSESSID=100f958b6e29894ea19d2597332e9bdd) to sign up for countless forums and web mailing lists. It uses the user name "vempyrik" and is really freakin' annoying.

I get lots of spam now from all of these signups, many of which are to legitimate sites that I myself obviously never signed up for. Changed my Gmail password repeatedly, but it seems that the bot is just using my email address as the login email and not actually sending emails from my actual Gmail account. While I've gotten good about filtering emails that have that user name "vempyrik" and just unsubscribing to lists all the time, I'm worried that eventually my real email address will start showing up on more and more spam and bot lists (as it shows up on BotScout's list, which is what brought me here). I desperately want to keep my Gmail address (as I have a common name, it's really hard to get a decent email address, and I begged and pleaded for a Gmail invite back in the day to get the one I have now).

Is there anything I can do to stop this bot from using my address? I'm not aware of any way to do this, and have emailed Google directly with no response, but I hope someone here might have a suggestion of what I can do!

MysteryFCM

• View Profile
    • I.T. Mate
Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Sadly there's nothing that can be done to prevent this.
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have to agree with MysteryFCM- there isn't anything you can do to prevent a spammer from using your email address.
Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

topher1078

• View Profile
Ugh what I figured. Thank you for the responses regardless!

MysteryFCM

• View Profile
    • I.T. Mate
No problem :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net