Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... rss

Author Topic: API for Write back?  (Read 4020 times)

nolimitssjca

• View Profile
API for Write back?
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:36:26 PM »
Hey Mike,

I have the API figured out for checking against the DB. But what about submitting spammers I find? Do you have the API for writing back?

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: API for Write back?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »
I have the API figured out for checking against the DB. But what about submitting spammers I find? Do you have the API for writing back?

It's something we're considering, but we're also concerned about malicious users (botnet owners, etc) using that capability to poison the database. We're looking at some code that does weighted voting and also some that does validation by testing for different submission sources, but we don't have anything solid yet. If you have ideas or code, we'd be interested in hearing about it.
Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

dumpsterdave

• View Profile
    • The Slaughter House
Re: API for Write back?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:46:37 AM »
How about having a second type of key, seperate from the API key.  Since the people using the system are most likely all admins on their site, you could simply have them make a post on their forums, in a publicly viewable area.  This would allow you to verify the following:

1.  That the site they are using this from is a legitmate site.
2.  That they are legitimate administrators of said site.

For the request, they could have something like report.php?.....&key=xxxxxxx where key would be their submission key.  Then, like you said, after X number of unique sites submit it, it gets validated and added to regular database.  Custom functions could also be written to integrate it into the different forum softwares.  For instance, in VBulliten, there is an option to "Delete Post as Spam" which allows the admin to also ban the user all in one action.  It could easily be added to then also submit the violators IP address, username, and email address to submission verification.

Just a thought.