Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... rss

Author Topic: Whitelisting an email address. How?  (Read 6719 times)

tfm

• View Profile
Whitelisting an email address. How?
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:47:40 AM »
Hi,

A possibly legit email address got blackmailed because of rejections from my site, and I was wondering if BotScout can whitelist it?

The example API code suggests checking and rejecting on either IP or EMAIL. The problem is that IP can belong to a proxy server, and it is OK for me if people use a proxy server when registering, as long as the email address is legit.

But I didn't realize that (IP or EMAIL) clause in the code caused trouble, until a user using a proxy server with a legit email address got rejected, so I changed the code so that both IP and EMAIL has to match. But now the user cannot register because both his IP and EMAIL is blocked by BotScout.

When I check BotScout's database for the email address, I see that there are three entries, all efter the registration attempt on my site. Therefore, I was wondering if the email address can be deleted/whitelisted?

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Whitelisting an email address. How?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 07:56:43 AM »
We don't whitelist addresses, but we can remove them from the database as needed.

Hi,

A possibly legit email address got blackmailed because of rejections from my site, and I was wondering if BotScout can whitelist it?

The example API code suggests checking and rejecting on either IP or EMAIL. The problem is that IP can belong to a proxy server, and it is OK for me if people use a proxy server when registering, as long as the email address is legit.

But I didn't realize that (IP or EMAIL) clause in the code caused trouble, until a user using a proxy server with a legit email address got rejected, so I changed the code so that both IP and EMAIL has to match. But now the user cannot register because both his IP and EMAIL is blocked by BotScout.

When I check BotScout's database for the email address, I see that there are three entries, all efter the registration attempt on my site. Therefore, I was wondering if the email address can be deleted/whitelisted?
Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

tfm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 02:42:20 AM »
OK, thanks. Can I send the email address to you in a PM?

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 06:26:59 AM »
Your entries come from 2 different proxy IPs and two different countries, which is more than a little suspicious...care to explain how that happened?

2009-08-07 18:23:02 Apskaft  195.7.100.44  fenix@lavabit.com    FRANCE 
2009-08-08 06:23:02 CluxCleenex 200.65.127.161 fenix@lavabit.com  MEXICO    
2009-08-08 07:23:00 ClucCleenex 200.65.127.161 fenix@lavabit.com  MEXICO

OK, thanks. Can I send the email address to you in a PM?
Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

tfm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:19:59 AM »
Your entries come from 2 different proxy IPs and two different countries, which is more than a little suspicious...care to explain how that happened?

2009-08-07 18:23:02 Apskaft  195.7.100.44  fenix@lavabit.com    FRANCE 
2009-08-08 06:23:02 CluxCleenex 200.65.127.161 fenix@lavabit.com  MEXICO    
2009-08-08 07:23:00 ClucCleenex 200.65.127.161 fenix@lavabit.com  MEXICO

Sure, that he or she was using a proxy server for registration. And that's totally OK for me as long as the email address is legit.

I'm operating a discussion forum where people are anonymous. For increased anonymity people sometimes uses proxy servers when they register or login.

As I explained in my first post, I made mistake to use the BotScout API with the IP or EMAIL condition, which was actually wrong in our situation. Since none of the user names (Apskaft and ClucCleenex) appeared in the BotScout database before these attempts, I would rather give this user benefit of doubt and accept his registration.

MysteryFCM

• View Profile
    • I.T. Mate
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
I'm rather curious as to why you'd be okay with people using proxy servers, especially given these are usually used for illegal purposes rather than legit ones?

/edit

The first IP is listed in 6 blacklists, and ProjectHoneyPot has it listed as a comment spammer;

http://temerc.com/Check_Spammers/?ip=195.7.100.44

The second is listed in even more blacklists;

http://temerc.com/Check_Spammers/?ip=200.65.127.161
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:38:36 PM by MysteryFCM »
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

tfm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »
I'm rather curious as to why you'd be okay with people using proxy servers, especially given these are usually used for illegal purposes rather than legit ones?

/edit

The first IP is listed in 6 blacklists, and ProjectHoneyPot has it listed as a comment spammer;

http://temerc.com/Check_Spammers/?ip=195.7.100.44

The second is listed in even more blacklists;

http://temerc.com/Check_Spammers/?ip=200.65.127.161
Well, are there any legit and free proxy servers on the internet? I totally understand that people choose to use any proxy server they find, as long as they don't pay. As you probably know, there are web sites where you can find lists of proxy servers, and where owners are sometimes unaware of that their proxy server is misconfigured, and thus letting the people outside their network use it. The fact that this user found a proxy server that was also used by spammers is just a coincidence.

As to letting people use a proxy server when they access my forum: As I have written before, the discussion forum I manage is based on anonymity. In fact, nobody registers and discloses their real names. That's a principle that is very common at some discussion forums in Sweden (I could give you some URLs here, but the forums I'm talking about is all in Swedish). Some people might be logging in from their offices, and maybe they don't want their work places to be disclosed in any way (as reverse host-lookups might reveal the domain name, and thus the work place), and that's totally OK for me.

Don't get me wrong, the anonymity is NOT because the discussion forum is a place for discussions on illegal activities. We discuss many things, from our political views to our sex lifes. But not everybody is willing to admit stuff they talk about if their identity is known in some way, maybe it has to do with that they think that their point-of-view won't be accepted by the majority of users. In many cases, people have used proxy servers to register, and then went over to using their own ip addresses after they have gotten to know the members of the discussion forum better, and realized that their point-of-view is in fact OK to reveal. So I have to be somewhat tolerant when it comes to usage of proxys in order to encourage people to register.

Until now two users among over hundreds of spammers were legit, so the botScout API has helped me a lot. But non of the spammers used a Swedish nickname during their attempts, like in this case (the word "Apskaft" is a Swedish word, meaning "Ape-headed" or "One with an ape as an origin").