Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... rss

Author Topic: Legal Threats Won't Work (asking nicely might)  (Read 3898 times)

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Legal Threats Won't Work (asking nicely might)
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »
Received today:

> While using the Google search engine I found out that my email has
> been flagged as spam email under the nickname speedy. I have to
> conclude that this is a violation of my privacy and therefore I
> exhort you to remove the entry otherwise I might subpoena you. The
> deadline is set at 1st of July 1:00 PM GMT+1.
>
> Should you have a valid reason for placing my email address then I'd
> like to be informed about this.
>
> I count on your cooperation as to my request,
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Owner of ******@gmail.com
>
> ( I wish to stay anonymous)
> reason: general question
> name: Anonymous
> email: *******@gmail.com

So...let us get this straight: Your email was added to the bot list somehow, and you're threatening to subpoena us, but YOU want to remain anonymous?? Really?

Let us state this very clearly: sending us legal threats will NOT work. Period, end of story. If you email us and ask nicely then we may indeed remove a name and/or mail address, but not when you start off by tryin' to jack us.

As to why your email address was added to the list, it's usually because a 'bot tried to register somewhere with it. (In fact, that's almost the only way it can get added to the list.)

If you want to subpoena us, feel free.
Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

hiken

• View Profile
Re: Legal Threats Won't Work (asking nicely might)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:02:03 AM »
You have to file a lawsuit before a subpoena can be issued.  And all a subpoena is - is a demand for documents, information, or to compel attendance as a witness.

So in other words this person is probably wearing his cardboard deputy attorney badge when he threatened you with a subpoena.

Thank you for running this very useful service.

Howard  (real attorney)

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:27:15 AM »
Howard ,

Thank you; we're glad you like the service. :)

It's refreshing to hear from a professional  who knows what he's talking about- we occasionally get people who are playing at being a lawyer and who think that spouting words like "subpoena", "lawsuit", etc will get them what they want.

99.9% of the time if people just write us and say, "Hey, would you take me off the list?", we'll do it. If they're really spammers or running bots, it won't matter because they'll just get rounded up in the next sweep. It might get them a short reprieve, but once they've been nailed a couple of times (i.e. "repeat offenders"), getting off the list is much less likely.

You have to file a lawsuit before a subpoena can be issued.  And all a subpoena is - is a demand for documents, information, or to compel attendance as a witness.

So in other words this person is probably wearing his cardboard deputy attorney badge when he threatened you with a subpoena.

Thank you for running this very useful service.

Howard  (real attorney)

Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

MysteryFCM

• View Profile
    • I.T. Mate
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »
Bah, I'm late as usual, hehe

Welcome to BS Howard :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net