Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... rss

Author Topic: Problem in SMF  (Read 4889 times)

zukikev

• View Profile
Problem in SMF
« on: April 25, 2009, 10:53:05 AM »
Hi, I am not very technical, but I thought I'd be able to install BotScout in SMF with no problems and save myself the trouble from banning bots manually all the time.

SMF version 1.1.8
http://www.s4wda.com/index.php?action=forum

Tried to install Botscout using the package manager in SMF. Didn't work. Gives this line at the very top of the forum
$txt['botscout_mail_body'] = 'A bot tried to register, but was stopped from doing so.' . "\n\n" . 'Bot Name: %s' . "\n" . 'Bot Email: %s' . "\n" . 'IP Address: %s'; $txt['botscout_mail_subject'] = 'Bot Attempt Stopped';

Also, the captcha code or what ever it is when new users sign up doesn't show up anymore, thus I haven't had any new users sign up in a couple of weeks.

The simplest thing I think it could be is I didn't point to botscout.php properly. Does this look ok?
include('http://www.s4wda.com/Sources/BotScout.php');

Otherwise, I don't know what is the matter. I tried to comment ( // ) all the boutscout references in the code mentioned in the readme, but I still can't make the error message go away or get the captcha back.

I have tried with both the SMF specific Botscout code, and the generic forum code and neither have gotten me any further, following the instruction.

Hope it is simple,

Thanks for your help.

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem in SMF
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with this error and I'm not sure what t would indicate. I'd suggest uninstalling it and returning the system to normal. Do you have other mods installed?

Also, I'd use an absolute path instead of a URL for the include statement- this may be the problem. Not knowing what the absolute path to the directory on your server would be, I'm at a bit of a loss to advise you on exactly what to put there. On this server (for example) it'd be something like:

include('/home/botscout/www/forum/Sources/BotScout.php');

Note that this is NOT a URL, it's an absolute (server) path.

Hi, I am not very technical, but I thought I'd be able to install BotScout in SMF with no problems and save myself the trouble from banning bots manually all the time.

SMF version 1.1.8
http://www.s4wda.com/index.php?action=forum

Tried to install Botscout using the package manager in SMF. Didn't work. Gives this line at the very top of the forum
$txt['botscout_mail_body'] = 'A bot tried to register, but was stopped from doing so.' . "\n\n" . 'Bot Name: %s' . "\n" . 'Bot Email: %s' . "\n" . 'IP Address: %s'; $txt['botscout_mail_subject'] = 'Bot Attempt Stopped';

Also, the captcha code or what ever it is when new users sign up doesn't show up anymore, thus I haven't had any new users sign up in a couple of weeks.

The simplest thing I think it could be is I didn't point to botscout.php properly. Does this look ok?
include('http://www.s4wda.com/Sources/BotScout.php');

Otherwise, I don't know what is the matter. I tried to comment ( // ) all the boutscout references in the code mentioned in the readme, but I still can't make the error message go away or get the captcha back.

I have tried with both the SMF specific Botscout code, and the generic forum code and neither have gotten me any further, following the instruction.

Hope it is simple,

Thanks for your help.

Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

zukikev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »
At first I had the option to uninstall it, and it did return to normal. This time, the option to uninstall doesn't exist (although the symptoms are the exact same). I think I went through the manual install process to make sure all the code was added properly by the installer, and everything looked well.

I'll try to get the more knowledgeable admin to help me get the absolute path.

Other 'mods':
1.     TinyPortal      0.971       [ List Files ]  [ Delete ]
2.    SMF Gallery Lite    1.7.1    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    Admin Notepad    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    SMF 1.1.2 Update Package    1.1.2    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    SMF Arcade    2.0.7    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.    SMF 1.0.11 / 1.1.3 Update    1.1    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.    SMF 1.0.12 / 1.1.4 / 2.0 b1.1 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.    SMF 1.0.12 / 1.1.4 / 2.0 b1.1 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.    SMF 1.0.13 / 1.1.5 / 2.0 b3.1 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.    SMF 1.0.14 / 1.1.6 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.    SMF 1.0.15 / 1.1.7 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.    SMF 1.0.16 / 1.1.8 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.    SMF 1.0.16 / 1.1.8 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

zukikev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »
I disabled captcha and tried to test register. This is what I got after I registered for an API key.

$txt['botscout_mail_body'] = 'A bot tried to register, but was stopped from doing so.' . "\n\n" . 'Bot Name: %s' . "\n" . 'Bot Email: %s' . "\n" . 'IP Address: %s'; $txt['botscout_mail_subject'] = 'Bot Attempt Stopped'; Test String: http://botscout.com/test/?multi&mail=kevin%40prairierockpark.com&ip=142.165.250.154&key=bfMey7hqH8BtuaP
RETURNED DATA: N|MULTI|IP|0|MAIL|0|NAME|0

API Data: N|MULTI|IP|0|MAIL|0|NAME|0

Fatal error:  Call to undefined function: checkbotscout() in /homepages/26/d92200349/htdocs/Sources/Register.php on line 302

zukikev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »
Well, now I've got it so that new users can sign up, no captcha code will show up though, so I disabled that.

Yikes, what a mess I've made. haha