Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... rss

Author Topic: New Bot Detection Question  (Read 6768 times)

Gilgamoth

• View Profile
New Bot Detection Question
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:31:54 AM »
Does BotScout just depend on manually reports for new bots, or is there an automated method for the backend to be able to auto add them?

Regards,

Gil

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Bot Detection Question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:43:20 AM »
There are both automated systems (bot traps) and a manual reporting mechanism.

Does BotScout just depend on manually reports for new bots, or is there an automated method for the backend to be able to auto add them?

Regards,

Gil
Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

Gilgamoth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:04:23 AM »
How about caching all the queries for 24 hours and if an ip or e-mail address appears more than say 5 times in that period, then it's obviously a new bot host :)

Regards,

Gil

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:17:40 AM »
It's possible that we could do this...what would be the purpose (reason) for doing this?

How about caching all the queries for 24 hours and if an ip or e-mail address appears more than say 5 times in that period, then it's obviously a new bot host :)
Please don't PM me for assistance- post your questions in the forum where others can see them.

Wizzle

• View Profile
    • The Bloody Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:47:11 AM »
Don't see the point, as the API query returns number of matches for each field.

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »
Don't see the point, as the API query returns number of matches for each field.

I wondered about his question too, but possibly he was looking for a "newest detected" bot list. (??) That's basically what the front page is, but not restricted to the last 24 hours.

Gilgamoth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:22:30 AM »
I don't know if it's just me or not, but I seem to be getting a few spammers registering on my forums that aren't found in the database (about one few days).

I'm not sure if these are just new spammers or just haven't been reported yet, so I was asking the question to try and work this out for myself.

If it's a new spammer fair enough, but if it's something that has been looked up by say 30-40 other boards all being returned as "unknown", I wondered if you were tracking these to automatically turn these into "known"?

Hope that makes sense?

Gil

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 05:08:29 AM »
I don't know if it's just me or not, but I seem to be getting a few spammers registering on my forums that aren't found in the database (about one few days).

This will always happen, because it's impossible to block new bots that haven't been detected or caught yet.

If it's a new spammer fair enough, but if it's something that has been looked up by say 30-40 other boards all being returned as "unknown", I wondered if you were tracking these to automatically turn these into "known"?

No, we're not doing that.